As Christians, we are called to more than the average person.
We are not special in and of ourselves. However, since we are walking after Christ we are supposed to stand out... to be different... to be a beacon of light in the ever increasing darkness that is our world.
1. We are called to be Holy (1 Peter 1:15-16) states that God is holy and that we should be holy as well. Our manner of living, our actions and our behaviors should be holy like God.
Down to the way we dress. ( And that goes for guys too).
2. We are not meant to blend in. Quite the opposite, in fact. We are to be set apart from the crowd, to be peculiar, atypical, different (1 Peter 2:9). Yes, we are in the world, but we are not OF the world. Meaning, there should be a difference in us that is noticeable. The way we walk, talk, act, and think should be different than the way the world does.
3. While the world may be preaching doom and gloom, we are called to share the good news of Jesus, we are to proclaim his praises to anyone and everyone who will listen.
In the Bible, God often gives us examples of people who were called out to make a difference -to be the change needed; examples we can read about and then mimic their responses in our own lives.
Take Abraham for example (Gen 12:1), God told Abraham to leave ALL that he knew, to follow his guidance into a land he had not seen yet. Abraham did so and was blessed, and he fathered the promise God gave to him.
Abraham is a prime example of what happens when we do what the Bible says in 2 Corinthians 6:17, which says we are to “"Come out from them and be separate”.
In times where Christianity might not be the popular choice, what gives us hope? What builds our faith that following the call of God is the right choice?
1. In times of trouble know that all things work together for the GOOD to them who love God and are called to His purpose (Romans 8:28).
2. Know that no matter where we are, no matter what we go through, NOTHING can separate us from the Love of the God who called us to His purpose.
My earnest prayer to God is that no matter what, I heed his calling.
I want to stand out. Some people in this world may never open the bible to read about David, Samuel, or Abraham.
And because of that possibility I want my life to be a bible they can see in real life. I want the world to see a man who follows the leading of the Lord like Abraham.
A man with a heart after God’s own heart like David. A man who, when God calls says, “Here am I”, like Samuel.
A man who is separated from the world, who does not just go with the flow. I want to be recognized as a difference maker, a boat rocker, a peculiar person.
Because that’s who God has called me to be.
Follow Andrew on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/andrwsmiley/